..

Monday

TOP 5...

MOVIES YOU PROBABLY DIDN'T KNOW I LIKE

If you've hung out with me long enough, you might have at times heard me say: "I love this film, but I wouldn't recommend it." - Because I am quite aware that the film attracted me in a personal way, as opposed to the more obvious "Oh, you HAVE to see this movie - it's TITS!" - There's a few movies in my collection that I absolutely think kick ass, but I'm nowhere about to recommend them to you, because honestly, I don't know that many people would like them. I just know that I liked them, period.

In fact, if I was to put the DVD on and watch any of them with you, there's perhaps only two of them I'd comfortably watch, the others I'd feel like you would be bored beyond all that if posible. Thereby reducing my enjoyment of it. Which is really why I don't put these DVDs on when I have company.

That said, feel free to let me know how much you think these suck, or more unlikely, if you actually like them:


5. The Pest (1997)
This John Leguizamo vehicle came out in the late nineties, I think at about the time when Jim Carrey was exploding into the extratosphere with a myriad of films, soon after the release of this film, you will notice that John didn't make that many comedies anymore, and can be seen a lot more often as a more "dramatic" actor. I really dig his one man shows, I believe I caught most of his HBO specials. What I really like about this movies is the straight out sillyness of it all, it's a ridiculous plot with a ridiculous set of events, but at the time when "Ace Ventura" was ruling the screen, a latin version came as a great snack between lunches. And no, the latino card plays nothing to it. Favorite moment? The explanation behind the pet snake's name... Cocteau... Cocktoe... yeah, that's it.


4. The Bear (1988)
I saw this movie in the movie theatre with my mom when it came out, and this movie totally rules all that is holy. At least to me it does. It tells the tale of an orphaned bear cub who follows the path of a older grizzly, hilarity, heartwarming, the horror that is man, nature, shrums, this movie has it all. Yes, mushrooms... the bear does mushroom s at some point. What can I say, this movie is the best coming of age film that I saw in the 80s.


3. Baby Boy (1988)
Most people, I am sure, prefer Singleton's Higher Learning and Boyz 'N the Hood - and so do I. But this one, I know a lot of people couldn't care less about. And guess what? I love it. It hit all the right parts for me. What really spoke to me, was the film in its entirety, that of a grown male becoming a man, the guy has two kids with two different women, lives with his mother, has no job, tries to live large, but he is not yet a man, through the course of this film, he grows up, and that is after all, something that I had a hard time doing, if not, still am having a problem with. Cheers.


2. My Life (1993)
Dude, this movie had me bawling when I saw it for the first time, it's not only a tearjerker, but it really brought me to terms with what being a father really is. Or maybe that's what I took from it. The film revolves around this man played by Michael Keaton, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and whose wife just became pregnant. He begins making videos in which he "teaches" his son all about himself and his life. And hell, that sounds like such an awesome thing to have had growing up. There's plenty of touching moments throughout the film, this could be categorized as a "chick-flick" for all intents and purposes.


1. Bringing Out The Dead (1993)
This movie rules, it's such a great film that for some reason I don't see a lot of people truly liking, but if there's a movie in this list that I think you probably like, it would be this one. I just don't recommend it at all, maybe I just understimate everyone. Hell. Regardless, this is a Nicolas Cage vehicle - it was directed by Martin Scorsese. It's the story of a paramedic on the brink of losing his sanity, and seeking redemption, seriously, what else can you ask for? This one is a film above the others.

----

Alright then. Many films I was debating making the list didn't make it for the simple reason that... they didn't meet the guidelines. remember - Films You Probably didn't know I liked. Simple as that. The others were rather easy to assume, or perhaps many of you already knew I liked.

For example, I was about to add a few Nick Hornby based classics, but I have friends in common that enjoy them, so I ommited them - High Fidelity and About a Boy.

..